Saturday, April 23, 2016

An Interview with L. C. Hayden






How did you start writing? What first inspired you?

I’ve always been a writer, even as a little girl. I started out with nonfiction and “graduated” to novel writing. My inspiration was a professor who gave me a "C" on a term paper I wrote for him in college and his only comment was “And you want to be a writer. Ha!” I had to prove him wrong.

Who or what has helped you the most with your writing career?  

My husband has always been very supportive, but I also need to thank all of my fans, who are not really “fans” but more friends and readers.

Do you write everyday?

I work on some aspect of writing every day. It may be promotion, revising, or actually writing.

Do you have a special place to write (office, dining room, etc.)?

I do have an office space in my house, but I write every place I can. Yesterday, we went to a mall and I wrote there for about two hours.

Typically, how much do you write a day?

 Sometimes I have bad days, and I write as little as a couple of hundred words. On the good days, I’ll write close to or over a thousand words.

Do you use an outline? If not, how do you keep your story and characters together?

I know how the story is going to begin and how it’s going to end. The rest is a surprise to me. I simply keep a sequence of events in mind as I write.

How much do you rewrite? How many drafts do you typically have?

Good writing is the result of rewrites. Therefore, it’s not uncommon for me to edit my own work at least 20 different times. This doesn’t include the corrections my critique group or my editor makes.

How do you feel about writers groups and have they helped you?

I love to be with other writers. Who else understands what it’s like? The emotional support is worth its weight in gold.

What drew you to your genre of writing? A specific author, influence?

My husband used to read mysteries, and he’s the one who introduced me to this genre. I love writing mysteries. As for the angels/miracles books: I heard a voice inside me say, “You’ve had several unique things happen in your life. Write about them.” The result was When Angels Touch You. I plan to continue writing about angel and miracle experiences in other people’s lives. If you’ve had an angel touch you, or if you had a prayer answered or a miracle happen in your life, contact me! As for the children’s picture books: who else would have influenced me: my grandkids! I wanted a book that I could dedicate to them and that they could read.

What authors do you like to read?

Charlene Tess, of course!—and so many more. 

Who is your greatest support?

My husband, my readers, and the local El Paso NANO group.

What do you think of e-publishing?

Love it! I used to be traditionally published (still am by Harlequin), but overall it’s been a super experience. And I love to read e-books too!

What methods do you use to market your work?

I have a newsletter I send out to my readers (If you want me to add your name, please contact me!), and I do a lot of Facebook stuff. I also do book signings, speak to whomever will have me, do workshop presentations.

What are you working on currently?

The next Harry Bronson novel, which will be the fourth or eighth in the series. It’s complicated!

What advice would you give to beginning writers?  

Never, ever give up. Follow your dreams. Also, never stop writing to edit your work. Otherwise, you’ll never be able to get to the end. After you finished the piece, then go back and edit, revise, rewrite—over and over again.

What books have you written?

I have three mystery series out: the Harry Bronson (3 or 7 books), the Aimee Brent (2 books), and the Connie Weaver (1 book, newest release: Secrets of the Tunnels) mystery series.
I have two children’s books out: Puppy Dog and His Bone and What Am I? What Am I?
I have three books out in the true angel series: Angels and Miracles Abound, Angels Around Us, and When Angels Touch You.

I have written in other genres. Please check my website for a complete list.

You can purchase L.C. Hayden's books here: tinyurl.com/LCHayden

Here's a link to L. C.'s website:  www.lchayden.com




7 comments:

  1. Great interview that resonates with all of us. You are an inspiration to try, try, try again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, L.C., you've intrigued me--how does your Bronson series consist of 3 OR 7 books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. Glad I've inspired you. That never giving up is so important in the writing world.

      Delete
  3. Hi Allan, my first 4 books in the series only feature Harry Bronson. He's not the main star. It's not until the fifth book, Why Casey Had to Die, that Bronson gets the entire book dedicated to him. So some consider that Why Casey Had to Die is the first in the series. Others say the other 4 books are part of the series. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "never stop writing to edit your work. Otherwise, you’ll never be able to get to the end. After you finished the piece, then go back and edit, revise, rewrite—over and over again." Thanks for that advice because that is exactly what I've done lately. I'll stop and continue writing to the finish, instead. Then edit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, Claire. Glad the advice helped you. I know so many authors who never finish what would have been a great piece of work because they're too busy rewriting and revising the first part.
    L. C. Hayden

    ReplyDelete
  6. L.C., I enjoyed reading this interview of you. I have always enjoyed your books. (Prefer hardcopy!)
    -Valkyrie

    ReplyDelete